Utah Residents: House Bill 125 aims to kill more lions!
House Bill (HB) 125, sponsored by Carl Albrecht,
will amend the Utah State Code to require the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (UDWR) to aggressively remove (kill or have
hunters kill) cougars, bears, bobcats and coyotes whenever deer and elk herds are "below objective," - that is, when they are
not as large as UDWR and certain hunter groups desire.
HB 125 is:
- Unnecessary: UDWR has authority for managing predator and prey species using professional discretion, but would lose it under this bill.
- Anti-science: Many factors affect deer and elk populations besides predators, including: drought, fire, disease,
severe winters, livestock grazing, loss of habitat, and hunting.
- Unethical: Cougars, bears, bobcats and coyotes will be relentlessly killed in an attempt to increase deer and
elk herds, which will in turn damage the ecosystem.
- Politically motivated: This legislation would strip legal authority to manage wildlife for all citizens from
UDWR and put it into the hands of hunting organizations.
Here's what you can DO to stop this horrid legislation from becoming law:
- Find your representative here: https://le.utah.gov/GIS/findDistrict.jsp
Fill in your home address and zip code, then click on "find." This will give you the name of your representative and your district number.
Then go to the House roster to find your representative by district number and to get his/her email address and
phone number: http://house.utah.gov/house-members/
- Email or phone your representative and ask/urge/insist/demand that he or she vote against HB 125. State your reasons (you can borrow from
the above points, but be brief). Be sure to include your name and home address with zip code at the end of your message.
Contact your representative today and tell them that you want them to oppose HB 125! Please act now to conserve
our wildlife and protect our ecosystems!
SHARE this alert with everyone you know on Facebook.
Thank you so very much for taking the time to help protect Utahs's mountain lions!
Join Mountain Lion Foundation!
Additional options for making a gift are available by clicking HERE.
However you choose to contribute, you help to give mountain lions a voice. Thank you!
About the Mountain Lion Foundation
The Mountain Lion Foundation, founded in 1986, is a national nonprofit organization protecting mountain lions and their habitat.
We believe that mountain lions are in peril.
Our nation is on the verge of destroying this apex species upon which whole ecosystems depend. Hunting mountain lions is morally unjustified, and killing lions to prevent conflicts is ineffective and dangerous.
There is a critical need to know more about the biology, behavior, and ecology of mountain lions, and governments should base decisions upon truthful science, valid data, and the highest common good. Conserving critical lion habitat is essential.