This page is for participants of the Mountain Lion Foundation’s Coexistence Camp Out, August 12 – 13, 2023.
We are excited to meet you and bring you into the Mountain Lion Foundation’s essential work for lions.
Fortunate Farm is located at 15401 N Highway 1, Caspar, CA 95420.
Here is a guide to help you arrive at the Coexistence Camp Out conveniently from around the country.
Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport (STS)
Distance from Fortunate Farm: Approximately 73 miles southeast of Caspar.
- Rental Car: Several car rental agencies are available on-site.
- Public Transportation: You can take a taxi or rideshare service to the nearby Santa Rosa Transit Mall, where you can catch the Mendocino Transit Authority Route 65 bus to Caspar. This option is slow and departure times are few, so be sure to plan your trip carefully if you choose to take the bus.
Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Distance from Fortunate Farm: Approximately 150 miles south of Caspar.
- Rental Car: Various car rental companies are available at the airport.
- Public Transit: You can travel between Oakland International Airport and the Sonoma County Airport by way of the Sonoma Airport Express. From there, you can transfer to the Mendocino Transit Authority bus. Route 65 arrives in Caspar. This is a slow option with few departure times available, so be sure to check your whole route and plan.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
Distance from Fortunate Farm: Approximately 158 miles south of Caspar.
- Rental Car: Various car rental agencies are available at the airport.
- Shuttle/Public Transit: You can travel between San Francisco International Airport and the Sonoma County Airport by way of the Sonoma Airport Express. From Sonoma County Airport, you can connect to the Mendocino Transit Authority bus. Route 65 arrives in Caspar. This is a slow option with few departure times available, so be sure to check your whole route and plan.
Caspar is a relatively remote location, and public transportation options have limited schedules. It’s always advisable to check for any updates or changes in transportation services before your trip.
We hope this information helps you plan your journey to Fortunate Farm successfully. Safe travels!
Our event programming will start at 9 am on Saturday, August 12. Participants are welcome to arrive Friday afternoon or evening, and we will have an informal fire ring Friday night.
Official programming ends by 5 pm on Sunday, August 13. Those traveling on Monday may stay on-site Sunday night if they choose. We will do our best to accommodate everyone’s travel schedules.
You are welcome to pitch a tent directly at Fortunate Farm at no charge. We have porta-potty bathrooms and a barn kitchen with propane range for cooking and potable water.
Or, Mendocino County offers a variety of accommodation options, including farm stays, camping, hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, and vacation rentals. See Visit Mendocino/Stay for a searchable database of options.
Nearby Hotels and AirBnbs
Our recommended nearby camping
- Jug Handle Creek Farm Located directly adjacent to Fortunate Farm, this farm has options from cabins to a bunkhouse to tent camping, though tent camping is also available at Fortunate Farm for free.
- Camping in Mendocino, CA, US: 12 Best Campgrounds 2023 | Hipcamp